Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Spicy Baby Potatoes in Peanutty masala


Spicy Baby Potatoes in Peanutty masala

I like baby potatoes. They look cute to me. I don't like cutting them up into pieces so I enjoy making curries like this where I can enjoy the whole potato. I usually make it with the regular masala paste which I make at home, but this time I decided to use some peanuts to make it peanutty. Peanuts and potatoes do make a good combination.
I make curries like this for a party or a pot luck or a special occasion. I made this time since my brother was coming over to my place after a long time and potatoes are his favorite food. Everyone enjoyed it though there was some leftovers which I ate in a sandwich the next day.
This curry can be enjoyed with hot rotis, chappatis and also hot rice.

Ingredients:

 15 to 20 baby potatoes.
Either peel the potatoes and then boil or boil and the peel.

Masala:

1/2 cup roasted peanuts
4 cloves
2 1 inch pieces of cinamon stick
4 cardamom pods
1 anise star
1 tsp shahi jeera
1 tsp jeera
1 tbsp coriander seeds
3 tbsp dry coconut powder
1 tbsp cuscus seeds (poppy seeds)
1 tbsp Amchur powder (can be sustituted with tamarind pulp)
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste

For gravy:

1 big onion chopped
1 big tomato chopped
3-4 green chillies slit or chopped
2 tsp chilli powder (adjust accordingly to your taste)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
garnish with chopped coriander leaves

Method:

Grind all the masala ingredients together with some water into a paste.
Peel the potatoes and boil them for 5 mins with some salt.
In a kadai or pan, heat oil, fry the onions and green chillies. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry a little. Then add the masala paste and fry a little.
Add the tomatoes, let it cook down.
Add the chilli powder and turmeric powder before adding the potatoes. Since the potatoes are boiled a little with salt, add only some salt. Mix and saute until everything comes together. If you want it gravy like you can add some water or you can fry it till it gets dry. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot.
Enjoy!!!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Hi Smitha,

    I lov your Blog and have tried a lot of your recipes and they came out very well and my family love the taste.

    I want to try this Baby potato recipe but have couple os questions:

    1. How many potatoes did you use
    2. When should we add the tomatoes.

    Appreciate your help.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne,
    Thanx for ur kind words, I am glad u r enjoying my recipes. As for this recipe...(I will update it too)

    I used about 15 to 20 baby potatoes.
    Add the tomatoes, after adding the masala paste and let it cook down before adding the chilli powder, turmeric and potatoes.

    Hope I am clear! :))
    Smitha

    ReplyDelete

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...