Thursday, February 18, 2010

Potato round fritters and Bell pepper fingers / Bajjilu


Potato round fritters and Bell pepper fingers / Bajjilu

Simple, easy bajjilu or fritters for a cold, snowy evening. This time we didn't escape the snow...we got hit and we got hit somewhat hard. Well, I say somewhat because I have seen more snow dumped on us than the past storm. I say that because I think we NewEnglanders have lost the feel for the snow. When lot of it falls, they cannot take it, and when less falls, they miss it!!!
So that evening I felt like eating bajjilu. If in India, and it rains I want mirchi bajji, but well had to settle with this. Lot of settling I have to do right :) (in life).
This is also a good way to make my kids eat some veggies instead of some unhealthy snack. But unhealthy for us to eat a lot of these deep fried stuff. Maybe we can get away with eating a few...maybe...
Any type of Veggies can be used to make fritters or bajjis.
I chose potato cause I don't have to stress on my kids to eat it...they will eat it I know :)
And bell pepper, cheap substitute for mirchi bajjis right...I just like bell pepper :)

Ingredients:

2 medium sized potato (sliced thin)
1 big bell pepper sliced little thick like fingers



For the batter:

2 cups besan (channa dal flour)
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 tbsp chilli powder
a pinch of baking soda (optional)
salt to taste
water to mix it into a thick batter
oil for deep frying

Method:

Heat oil.
Mix all the ingredients (except for oil!!) into a batter. The batter should be thick, should be able to coat the veggies. Dip the veggies, one by one into the batter and deep fry to golden brown.
Remove onto a paper napkin to drain the excess oil. Serve hot. Enjoy with tomato sauce or spicy ketchup.
Can also be enjoyed with coriander-mint chutney or tamarind chutney :) Enjoy!!!




Tip: The thinner the slices are, the quicker the veggies cook.
Posted by Picasa

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...