Saturday, April 17, 2010

Healthy Vegetable Semiya Upma - Today's morning breakfast


It only sometimes that I wake up to make some good breakfast other than idlis and dosas. Cereals and bread are a regular, but my kids get bored of that, so I decided to make this today. After all my dance class was cancelled for today morning and I am free, other than doing my son's school project uuugh!!! When will that even finish???!!!
I do make semiya upma from time to time and we all enjoy it very much. A whole lot of veggies make this healthy too, so I tell my kids :) I don't make it too spicy, so that the kids too will enjoy. My husband enjoys nuts in it, so I add cashew nuts too. I guess my husband and kids like this better than regular ravva upma. But I crave for ravva upma sometimes. This is something I like too...and I like it more if its ...how do I say it...in telugu we say...vidi vidi ga...or for rice grainy grainy..I mean if I can see each semiya by it selt...if you know what I mean!!!...so I use less water and add water only if I have to later on.
Me and my kids like eating it plain, my parents ate it with pachadi or chutney, eating it with sugar is also nice and yummy!!!
I made this for 4 adults and 2 kids...I used 1 1/2 cup semiya. Adjust accordingly...I made it for breakfast, but you can eat it for lunch or dinner, when you don't want something too heavy!
It takes only about 15 min from start to finish. I used Bambino already toasted semiya, hence the color brown. If you have regular ones, dry toast it before starting to cook. If you have frozen veggies, it becomes much more easier.
I used potato, green beans, carrots and peas. I would have loved it if I had cauliflower too, but I didn't
;(....You can add any other veggies you like!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup semiya
1/2 big onion, chopped lengthwise or julienned
4 green chillies, slit
1 small potato, chopped into small cubes
1/4 cup carrots, chopped into small cubes
1/4 cup peas
1/4 cup green beans, french cut

3 tbsp cashew nuts, broken
1/2 tbsp channa daal
1/2 tsp urad daal
1/4 tsp jeera
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
5-6 curry leaves
2 dry red chillies, broken
1/4 tsp turmeric powder

1-2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
1 1/2 cup water
and some more water if required

Method:

In a pan, heat oil. Add cashew nuts, channa daal, urad daal and let them brown. Add mustard seeds, jeera and let them splutter. Add the curry leaves, red chillies and saute. Add the turmeric powder and saute.Add onions, green chillies and saute till translucent.
Add the veggies one by one, starting with potatoes first. Add some salt and saute. After couple of minutes add the other veggies. Only potatoes take longer to cook than the rest, so I add them first. Add which ever you think take longer before the rest. Salt them as you go. When you think everything is cooked, which shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, add water and let it come to a boil. Add salt and taste. It should be slightly salty to your taste. Add the semiya when the water boils. Mix together and when the water if absorbed, lower heat and cover. If you think it needs more water, add some and cover. They will get cooked in the steam itself.
Serve hot with chutney or pachadi or podi. Enjoy!!!



Tip: If you add more water, it will become sticky all together. I know some people even like it that way too.

2 comments:

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...