Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Rosa puvvulu / Gulabi puvvulu / Fried Flower Cookies or Rosettes - Eggless


Yumm...just melt away in your mouth...yummy!......thats what I remember from my childhood days about this dish. My Granny used to make these during festival and we used enjoy them a lot.
Its been a very long time that we haven't had these after my days in India. I only got the idea after I saw this recipe on Sailu's Kitchen, that I started to crave for them again. And so my hunt for the 'achu'  or mould began. And guess what my mom did...after she couldn't find a good one at the market, she bought me the one which was lying at home and not being used...ya the old old one....almost as old as me!!...great na...and it still works great too...
So the 'achu'  or mould you see in the picture is the old old one :))
The recipe is from Sailu's kitchen...here is the recipe once again. The reason I chose this recipe is because its an eggless recipe, perfect for the festival season.
These aren't difficult to make as long as you have the achu.
There are a few tricks as to how to get good flowers, here is what I noticed:

1. The achu  or mould has to be hot enough when dipped in the batter
2. Dip it fully so as to it coats it completely with only the top not coated.
3. The batter has to be thick, little more thicker than the dosa batter.
4. Use a sharp edged device to remove the flower after its fried in oil. I used a metal fondue fork.
5. Don't remove it immediately after you submerge the achu in oil, but wait for atleast 20 seconds.
6. These do fry and burn quickly, so only fry 2-3 at a time, so that you can remove them quickly enough.
7. The oil should be at low to medium heat or they will burn real fast.
8. Once you make a few, you will get the hang of it!:)



Ingredients:

1 cup Maida
1 3/4 cup rice flour
3/4 cup sugar
water or coconut milk as required (I used water)
1tsp cardamom powder
1 tsp sesame seeds (optional) (I didn't use any)
salt to taste, a pinch is enough
Oil for deep frying

Method:

Mix the ingredients together with water and set aside for about 20 mins.
The batter should be thick, thicker than regular dosa batter.
Heat the achu  or mould in oil before dipping it into batter.
Coat evenly with batter on all sides and immediately dip into oil.
Fry for 20 seconds atleast before removing it with a sharp device.
Fry till golden brown.
Remove onto paper napkin. Let it cool before serving.
Serve it as a festival dish or a tea time snack.
Enjoy!!!

Sending this to CMT-Sweets, Mithai @ Mina's blog Authentic Vegetarian Recipes, an event started by Jagruti of Joy of Cooking.

19 comments:

  1. Wowo no eggs i am sure gonna try this, last time i made them i got few good ones and thenthe rest got stuck to the shape, will bookmark this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a kid i use dto love this beautiful crips, reminds of good days..Gorgeous Smitha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I love this rosettes. I always request my mom to make this for me. I asked MIL to get me that mold to make this but she promptly forgot. Looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey we called it rose cookies.....Specially Christmas time...friends dropped in with these cookies..They look perfect smitha

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the rose cookies.....i am very unusual...whenever mum makes it...i leave it to remain in open air to make it soft....i love it dat way....everyone at home prefer the air tight container to keep it crisp...u have an ach to do it....really good...nice shape and colour.
    Biny

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great. I have never come across an achu before. I will have to try and get one from India.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG this my fav..looks awesome..can't stop on munching it

    Aaha Oho

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look beautiful Smitha!! I have been looking for this mould for so lobn now!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh now I get it that this is how they form the flower. Looks crunchy. Nice job Smitha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow..they look mighty gorgeous..great pictorials!
    Happy Diwali to you n your family Smitha!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow I am going to book mark this and try it , I just got one of these moulds.These look super.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this will be so nice.........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Smith
    I tried these today after ssing these on your blog. They turned out really well for a 1st attempt Thanks to your excellent recipe and instructions.
    Do check them out here
    http://simplysensationalfood.blogspot.com/2011/03/rosettes-cookies-eggless.html
    I have linked your post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG Smitha.. these look fab.. mouth watering and Perfect...I don't have the mould, but will keep hunting for one and then make it.
    Love Ash.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This luks terrific.Yummy n crispy cookies.Luv it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...