Monday, March 29, 2010

Peas Pulao / Peas Fried Rice


Peas Pulao / Peas Fried Rice

I am again confused as to what to call it?...pulao or fried rice?...I usually call it pulao when I cook all the ingredients together and fried rice, when I add curry like ingredients to the cooked rice.
The recipe can be made both ways, but this time I made it the second way just because I feel the peas get cooked to a very soft texture or become mushy when cooked when the rice.
I always have a bag of frozen peas in my freezer. Making peas pulao was a last minute change. I first thought of making jeera rice for the potluck party. But the thought of kids eating jeera rice didn't go well together. I know atleast my kids would eat it if its biryani with something in it. I wanted to make something easy , not too heavy, not too 'masalayee' (if thats a word) and something which will go well with my Mom's Cabbage kofta curry. So then I decided to use the peas in the freezer to make the peas pulao.
Its very simple and very easy to make. Its easy to put together if you have peas ready like me. I used frozen peas, but you can also use fresh or dry ones which you will have to soak overnight. If using dry peas, you might have to cook them for little longer till they are cooked.
Since it was for a pot luck party made made it using 3 1/2 cups of raw basmati rice. Adjust accordingly if you are making a lesser quantity.

Ingredients:

3 and 1/2 cups basmati rice, soaked for 1/2 hours atleast, then cooked in a rice cooker with only 5 to 5 1/2 cups of water ( since the rice is soaked and also if you want the single grain texture use less water with basmati rice when using a rice cooker)

1 and 1/2 cup frozen peas
1 large onion, julienned, cut lengthwise
4 green chillies, slit and cut into halves
1/4 cup broken cashews
1/4 cup chopped mint leaves or pudina
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves or kothimeeru or dhaniya leaves for garnish

Dry garam masala:

6-8 cloves
5-6 small 1/2 inch pieces of cinamon sticks
1 anise star, broken
2 large bay leaves, broken in halves
1 tsp shahi jeera or kala jeera
1/2 tsp jeera
4-6 elaichi pods

1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
salt to taste
3-4 tbsp oil

Optional:

1/2 tsp coriander or dhaniya powder
1/2 tsp jeera powder

Method:

After the rice is cooked, remove it into a large vessel and fluff it, so that the grains don't stick together.
In a different pot, heat oil and add all the dry garam masala and let it brown. Add the onions, green chillies, cashews and brown them too. Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute. Add the peas and salt and saute till you think the peas are cooked. Remember they shouldn't get mushy! Add the mint leaves and saute well. Add dhaniya and jeera powder and mix well. Lastly before removing from the heat, add the coriander leaves and mix well. You can save a few coriander leaves to add directly to the rice too. Add this mixture to the rice and mix well into it taking note not to break the rice grains. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot or warm with any curry and raita. Enjoy!!!



 

This is going to CWS - Cardamom Seeds hosted by Priya of Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes .
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. Fried rice looks so lovely.Just need raita to complete the dish.Nice click.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U made me hungry dear. its looking simply superb.. My mouth is full of water ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many time i try like that rice at home but never got like that perfect dish. But some points i found from your recipe, Now i get how can i coked that perfect rice at home. Thanks for your recipe.
    World’s Longest Basmati Rice

    ReplyDelete

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...