Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Junnu - A Sweet Milk Pudding

This is my first guest post. Sreevalli of Ammaji's recipes was so kind to ask me to do a guest post long back. But due to my computer problems I didn't get a chance to get to it till now! Thanks Sreevalli for asking me to do it! :)
I chose this simple sweet recipe for this special post called "Junnu". I am sure whoever has tasted this in the past would really like to revive this memory yet again.



The first milk of cattle after delivering a calf is called 'Junnu paalu' in our language, 'paalu' standing for milk.
This is steam cooked with some jaggery and black pepper to make this awesome pudding known as 'Junnu'.
Because of the thickness and creaminess of this milk, it forms a delicate pudding with a creamy texture without the addition of any other ingredients.
Well this was in the times when the 'first milk' was readily available like in the villages or even in the city, when your milkman would bring 'Junnu paalu' and offer it to you for a nominal price.

I have probably eaten the actual Junnu only once or twice in my lifetime, but the delicate taste has forever made a mark in my brain!
Now during present times, its very rare that we can get 'Junnu Paalu'. So I tried to make this delicacy using the ingredients readily available to us and I think it came out perfect, absolutely just like the actual 'Junnu'.
But I had to use eggs and so its not eggless like the actual and real 'Junnu'. Maybe some day that also will be possible. :)
Its a very simple recipe which churns out this amazing and delicious Milk Pudding. The combination of jaggery and pepper in  the real junnu is perfectly compensated by the sweetness is condensed milk and black pepper. The eggs bring out the right texture in the pudding, very close to the real one.


Ingredients:

1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 oz)
2 cups milk
2 eggs
pinch of black pepper
1/4 tsp Cardamom powder

Method:

Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl along with eggs
Grease a steel bowl ever so lightly with oil.
Steam cook it in a pressure cooker for about 30 minutes.
Remove and cool before flipping over onto a plate.
Flip it twice to bring it right side up.
Serve warm or cold.
Enjoy!!!


12 comments:

  1. You surely fooled me Smitha..I saw the title junnu and immediately came here to see where you got hold of 'first milk' here in US :) You definitely got me :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried this once and I loved it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, very tempting

    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy and delicious pudding..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a new & tempting dessert!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Junnu any time. And I Never tried this version of Junnu!
    It sure looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks so soft and mouthwatering.. Nice one Junnu

    Great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just joined your blog and really love the way you narrate the recipes. Your pics make them even more delicious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...