Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Madras Curry powder


Madras Curry powder

This curry powder is a little different from our regular curry powder or garam masala powder but just as useful. It can be used to flavor our regular saute dishes to anything else. It can be made in matter or minutes and can be stored.
I came in touch with this powder when I lived in a small island country called Trinidad in the West Indies. This was very long back, like about 20 years ago, when my father worked in that country for couple of years. It was a popular spice powder used by the Trinidad Indians (Indians who have settled there more than 200 years ago).
There are a few dishes which my Mom learnt and we fell in love with and make it at home even now. I make them sometimes, thats why I have this masala powder in my pantry. I have used this to flavor my regular dishes and they do taste good.
When I wanted to make this powder, I googled it and found this recipe which I used. The recipe asks to powder the curry leaves and add turmeric powder, which I didn't. I like the smell and flavor of fresh curry leaves, so I rather add them directly to the dish, same goes with the turmeric.

Ingredients:

1 cup coriander seeds or dhaniya seeds
1/2 cup cumin seeds or jeera
1/4 cup fennel seeds or sounf seeds
1/4 cup dried red chillies
2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
2 tbsp black mustard seeds
2 tsp fenugreek seeds or methi seeds

Method:

Dry roast all the ingredients in a pan till they turn fragrant on medium heat, stirring constantly. Take note that they do not burn. When cool grind into a powder.
Store in an air tight container.

Tip: Red chillies may burn quickly, so u can add them towards the end or roast them separately.
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...