Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chocolate dipped Strawberries



I have been waiting to prepare this from along time. At first I wasn't sure if they would come out right or if the recipe was not easy enough. But now after I have tried it, its a totally easy and perfect recipe.
We were kind of busy on Valentine's. So I prepared these yesterday. My kid's couldn't wait till they dried and wanted to eat them right away!

Usually if you want to buy these outside in a good chocolate store, they are very expensive...I should say very very expensive. I rather make it at home with a good variety of chocolate and some fresh starwberries. They do taste the same minus the expensive part!

So while looking for the recipe, I saw that many people just melted the chocolate and dipped the strawberries in and some made it this way. I was curious to know why they were adding vegetable shortening. The reason is to get a smooth finish on the strawberries. Adding shortening helps in achieving that as chocolate tends to contract when it gets dry or withdraw. Well this may not happen if you are using a fatty chocolate.
Another trick to get a smooth finish is to shake the strawberry after dipping, to get the chocolate into all the holes and the turning it upside down before laying it on the parchment sheet.



Ingredients:

3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli)
2 tbsp vegetable shortening
12-16 Strawberries

a sheet of parchment paper

Method:

Wash the strawberries and dry them on a paper towel.
Melt the chocolate chips and vegetable shortening in a double boiler or in the Microwave.
I used the microwave. It took about 1 1/2 minute for complete melting.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. (I think parchment paper works the best)
Slowly dip the strawberries till how much you want.
Lay them to dry on the paper.
Refrigerate it for 10 min.
They are ready to be savored.
Serve as is or chilled.
Enjoy!!!



A good friend of mine made cake pops for Valentine's and sent them over to my kids...My Kid's always enjoy gobbling them up!!




Sending the chocolate dipped strawberries to Torview Toronto for the event 'Food Palette series - Brown'


Sending this to Kid's Delights, brainchild of Srivalli and guest hosted by Champa of Versatile Indian Kitchen

27 comments:

  1. you got me here...really really nice. it seems i'm living on blogs today. me having PPD (post partum) bouts. my routine goin beserk...when does it normally subside?? trying hard to be normal ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the simplest yet one of the most exotic desserts out there!
    very well explained recipe..they look perfect:)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely, the glaze looks perfect. Your friend's cake pops are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ..looks beautiful and tempting ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate dipped strawberries looks awesome.. wish I could have one of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Smitha, what a splendid treat. And you are absolutely right- it's a huge cut down on cost to do hand dipped at home. Looks beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very cute and lovely. Tastes gud too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Smitha would love to know how you make the chestnuts in the microwave :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for linking these beautifully done desserts

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are perfect little beauties dear...

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey they are so cute....and sweet little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute and adorable chocolate dipped strawberries, those pops looks soo fabulous..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love strawberris dipped in chocolate and this looks so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my those looks terrific & very tempting smitha..Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you for sharing smitha will try the chestnuts in the microwave next time

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love them and yours look perfect :-)

    Saw your q about the weather. It's been in 60s here for the past 3-4 days and all the snow has melted away. More snow in the next week,though

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful!!!!!!!!can't take my eyes off the pics

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very simple but delicious... nicely presented.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful strawberries.. very romantic indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would say this is better than the ones in fancy stores:) beautiful presentation!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG,totally blissful combo! Lovely it looks,have made it so perfect smitha! Lovely clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love these. Beautiful presentation. Following you

    ReplyDelete

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...